Sunday, February 25, 2007

Follow up visit

Josie went back for a five day surgery followup (usually 10 days, but he wanted to check how her healing was going) last Wednesday. everything looks great. we'll go back in 6 weeks to see how she has healed and determine at that time when to put the rod back in. i'm getting ready to take her bandages off for good. she's been itching like crazy due to the tape.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Post-op Day Two 02/17/07

well, we're home! Josie got discharged around 11:00 this morning.
she is doing okay. VERY grumpy and angry and complaining of itching and pain. but for the last hour or so she's been great - sitting up and playing with stickers and watching a movie on the TV.

she does have some "suspicious" bruising that i have paged the nurse about. i didn't notice it when we left the hospital, but maybe it was there. i've drawn a line on the clear tape to see that it doesn't get bigger and i took a picture.

Post-op Day One 02/16/07

well, where to begin? i forgot to bring my laptop power cord so hopefully i'll have enough juice to get this email out in the first place.

things didn't go as planned today. the surgery itself was fine but once she was closed up the doc noticed her skin was blanching (like how your knuckles look white when making a fist cause there is no blood getting there) over the lower cradle that has been sticking out for some time.

so he wanted to watch if for a few hours to see if it went away. well, the blanching got better but now there was a "bruise" developing which gives alarm to some deep tissue bruising where that cradles been pushing against the skin.so, Josie went back into surgery later this evening to "release" the expansion he did this morning to see if it helped. it didn't really so ultimately he took the left rod out, leaving the top cradle. (cradles are the top and bottom "circles" that attach to Josie's ribs).

the next step will be to put a new rod in at some point. it most likely won't be a rib to rid rod again, but a rib to lower spine rod. it all depends on hos Josie responds to not having a rod in that side any more. if she continues to breath well, etc, then they may wait until Josie is due for another expansion.

which is another thing. because of josie's disorder, her bones (spine) grows very very slowly and minmally and having an expansion every six months may have proved too much for her. we might go a whole year or so before the next expansion.

hopefully she can still go home tomorrow. i've decided to stay at the hospital tonight due to the freak "blizzard" we got. i don't know if i'll have anough battery to email you tomorrow until we get home. i will send a short one if for some reason we don't go home.

well, better go. thanks for the continued prayers. today was kind of a set back, but the doc treated it very aggressively to actually have better results later on.

Pre-op 02/15/07

Just got back in town. pre-op was a breeze. the've got this new "spray" can for numbing the arm to give shots. it's an aerosol can that "freezes" the site and numbs it for a few seconds. it worked GREAT for Josie. MUCH better than that white cream that doesn't usually work.

okay, here's the details:
Josie is scheduled first up (7:30am). we need to be at the hospital at 6:15 which means leaving our house around 4:30am again.

but when we get there, there is a chance that her surgery may be postponed or canceled all together becuase the hopspital is FULL. in one day recently they had over 200 admissions. but we won't know until we get there!!! hopefully we would just have to wait til later on in the morning or afternoon. of course we're hoping for it to go as scheduled.

secondly, there is a 50/50 chance he'll only need to expand both rods and not replace one. if so, we could probably get discharged tomorrow too! but we're still "planning" on a replacement and being there a couple days.

Surgery is back on!

Surgery is back on for THIS Friday! that new cream we got cleared up her spots in three days and she is over her cold, so surgery of the 16th wll go on as scheduled. Thursday will be pre-op day. We don't know yet what time surgery will be on Friday.

this is great news because they are replacing one rod and she'll be in the hospital a few days (2-3). and Monday is a holiday and we're off work, so we have a "buffer" day in case we need it.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Surgery Postponed

I just got the word; surgery needs to be postponed until her back is completely clear of the psoriasis (on the incision sites). The Dermatologists thinks this new cream combination could clear it in a week or so. this also gives Josie time to get rid of her cold/cough.

We need to call the Doc as soon as it's clear and they'll try to get Josie into surgery that same week that we call.

We are disappointed but, Josie's health is the main concern and we don't want other complications arising from either the cold or the psoriasis. the last time there were complications she almost died in Texas so it's better to be safe.

Thank you for your continued prayer and support.

By the way, some of you have inquired about Kevin's health. My appologies for not updating. He is doing great. He's been out of the hosptial for two or three weeks now. i believe he was going to go back to school this week. so far, everything is excellent for his recovery.