Thursday, January 18, 2007

What A Start To '07

January started off with Cami getting sick which turned into a positive diagnosis for MONO! She just started back to school this week. she tried to go to dance practice Tuesday, but left early cause she was tired and began to cough a great deal. overall she is feeling better, just gets tired easily.

Josie's psoriasis is basically gone, which just a couple spots the appear now and then - but they are still right on her incision scar line, so we've got to get them off there. Her surgery is scheduled for February 16 with pre-op on the 15th.

Taylor's nearing the end of his basketball season and it couldn't end fast enough. Basketball is just not his sport. He loves golf, is really good at baseball and showed great improvement in football. but this is his second or third season for basketball and he's really just out there to be with his friends. but that's okay, basketball wasn't my thing either. i played one year in junior high cause that was the thing to do - play every sport. but i didn't play the next.

I have decided (i can't remember if i said this in a previous post or not) that marathons have some sick hold on me and i plan to run one a year. this year Bob and i are planning to run the Philladelphia Marathon in November. my struggle was going to be NOT running a marthon this spring as well (with the marathon class at Washburn again). and i've stuck to that... well, close anyway. Bob is taking the class again , but instead of running in Lincoln, he's gonna run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April. and i have decided to run the HALF marathon there too. i'd like to run some saturdays with the class, but since i only need to train half the time (for half the distance), i have to force myself not to start running (with the class schedule) for another 4 weeks. otherwise i could find myself wanting to run the whole marathon, and i don't want to commit to that kind of training every weekend.

Tracy's 18 year old nephew, Kevin Johnson was taken to the ER late Tuesday night for some flu-like symptoms and general unresponsiveness and he was bleeding from his ear. in no time they had him in a CT scan and found a large brain bleed on his frontal lobe area. within hours he was in the OR where they opened his skull to stop the bleeding and remove a clot. he aparently had a genetic defect of a mass of twisted veins in that area that wasn't supposed to be there. they were the source of the bleed.

he is doing MUCH better than expected. they thought he'd need to be in a coma for a couple days, but he was showing responsiveness in the recovery room. later that afternoon they took him completely off the ventilator. he knows right from left and followed all their commands, he knows who everyone is, etc... But the docs are still cautious, of course. they pretty much say, we'll wait til he wakes up (fully) and see where we are (how he is functioning).

obviously his parents are devistated. i know his father (George) is barely hanging in there and i feel for him. His mother (Angie) seems to be handling it well, at least on the outside. Of course Tracy and i know what they're going through and can hopefully be a support for them.

Please, keep Kevin and the Johnson family in your prayers. For those in the Topeka area, he is at Stormont Vail Hospital in room 207 of the ICU (second floor, south tower). i imagine one or both his parents will be camped out in the waiting room until he's released.


Anonymous said...

hay dad.. i hope kevin will be okay that is soo scary! im doing better tomorrow is when jessica and morgan come over to go syber bowling with me and we are all so to go
love you

familyman5 said...

the weather may be getting pretty nasty today/tonight. BE CAREFUL!!

love you too.