Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Changing my mind?

Okay, if only all my workouts were this awesome, i might i have to rethink my "retirement" after the Chicago marathon!!!

This morning was a PMP (predicting marathon pace) 7 mile run. Since i want to run a 10:30 mile i set my watch for 2 minute, 40 second 400 meter intervals. the Shunga Trail where we run is marked off every 400 meters. and 2 minutes, 40 seconds every 400 meter gives me a little more than a 10 and half minute mile (i was cautious).

now i've been sick with a cold since last Friday afternoon and i almost went home early yesterday and stayed in bed ALL evening. that's why i gave myself a few extra seconds per 400 meters.

plus, even though Bob and i run together - we will no longer really be running "together"... he's a faster runner period and to run "with" me would hinder his own performance. so this morning i also had to run the whole 7 miles on my own. yet one more reason to get discouraged.

As expected, within the first 400 meters i was feeling pain/burning in my lower legs. and i was struggling to run "on pace".... i was going too FAST. within a mile i was able to maintain my 2:40 pace. and a really cool thing was happening; my legs/feet didn't get worse. they actually subsided some. i focused on my breathing and counting the 400 meter red stripes. before i knew it, i was half way done and ready to turn around. i hadn't yet stopped for a walk break. a half mile into the return run and i decided i should stop for some water at least. so i stopped for a mere 15 seconds for water and was off again. and i was running FASTER. i decreased my 400 intervals by TWENTY seconds! i was now running faster than a 9 minute 30 second mile! and i MAINTAINED that pace for two miles.

but it doesn't stop there... that last half mile i decided to kick it up a notch again! i shaved off another 15 seconds per interval (now a 2 minute, 5 second 400). i ran the last half mile of the run at a little over a EIGHT AND A HALF MINUTE MILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now, does that mean i'm ready to run a 10:30 mile marathon? heck no. but it does mean my speed is increasing and judging by the way i ran the last half mile, i could have run the first three and a half miles at a faster pace. this morning my time averaged out to be about a 10 minute mile - for seven miles straight!!!

and i've never run that far without taking walk breaks. and i've never run that far, feeling so good about it.....

this morning was just amazing!!

No comments: